Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Comic Books - Good for Learning

I just read an article entitled Comic Books are Good for Children's Learning.

I have to say that I totally agree with this. In fact, I am adamant about it. Comic Zone contributes to the Kids Need to Read Foundation precisely for this reason. The foundation does a lot to promote reading in all forms, including selling comic books especially made for them as fundraisers for their causes. We carry some of them in our store.

As a mother, I can say that my younger son was not really into reading much until he discovered comic books, and since then, he is always reading something. My older son got hooked on comics years ago to the point where he aspired to be a comic book artist - and in fact, has done so with web comics. He also applied his love of drawing to a graphic arts education which he has pursued as a career for awhile now.

So, strictly speaking as a mother, I can't say enough about the value of comic books as a resource and a way for kids to learn.

As a lifelong student of psychology and with a Masters degree in Education, I see much value in comic books for other reasons also.

• Comic books have a way of presenting their stories which make them more mythologically oriented, thus with lasting interest. I could get into the archetypes but I will leave that for another post.

• The graphics are geared more towards visual learners, which gives them access to ideas and concepts that they wouldn't normally get.

• The stories themselves are abbreviated into just the basics, allowing the readers to fill in the gaps with their imaginations, a great way of maintaining healthy creative thought processes.

• The stories invariably illustrate battles between good and evil, which instill a sense of values in young, impressionable minds.

• Comic books are a great way to engage more of the whole brain, rather than just the logical, thinking part of the brain.

All in all, I can't say enough about the positive value of comic books for learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment